A sudden 2.5 hours exclusive time for myself made my visit to That Madras Place possible.
Looking for a relaxed meal in adyar. It struck me why no TMP? I called up from kotturpuram to get a landmark and the owner Mathangi was very helpful. I walked in at around 2.20 pm Saturday afternoon and it was packed. 2 groups were waiting before me. There was a round tea table, the one we use in living room readily available. I sat initially but was uncomfortable so I offered to wait. Initially I waited outside but later she offered me to a chair near the food counter.
After a 20 minutes wait I was given a proper table.
AMBIENCE- I will call it caferaunt not restaurant. Nicely done place. AIRCON was not sufficient especially when its packed. Luckily I sat directly behind one and felt very relaxed in the sweltering heat. ( 3/5)
FOOD- Waiting time near the food counter helped me in spending enough time on the menu card. Fellow foodie reviews also helped me in my choice of menu.
By the time I got my table it was less crowded and a relaxed Mathangi came to take my orders.
I asked for 1. ICE CREAM SODA, 2. FISH AND CHIPS, 3. POMODORRO.
Contrary to the reviews I got my food pretty fast, maybe due to single orders.
1. ICE CREAM SODA- It was refreshing and relaxing in the heat. Very nice and my first taste of this combo. The bottle the cold beverages are served in was a novelty. (4/5).
2. FISH & CHIPS- It is one of my all time favorites and it has been ages since I tucked into one. Since Mathangi said fish is fresh I had no second thoughts in ordering it. The fish was really fresh and great in taste. The chips were also nicely made. The mayonnaise dip was pleasantly fresh. The fish was bit salty. ( 3.5/4)
3. POMODORRO - This decision was based on other foodie reviews. Mathangis suggestion about this made my task pretty easy.
She offered me penne pasta. It was piping hot with cherry tomatoes. I found it a bit tangy for my taste buds. (3/5)
The Fish and Chips and POMODORRO are supposed to be signature dishes of That Madras Place. I wouldn't find fault in the taste, quantity and freshness. The ice cream soda was too good for me.
SERVICE- Right from the phone call to billing my experience in terms of service was exceptional. Mathangi does a one woman show in terms of troubleshooting. I hope she gets another similar helping hand to take it further. ( 4.5/5)
COST- In terms of location, cuisine, inflation etc. I feel its neither cheap nor expensive. (3/5)
OVERALL- 3.5 rating is overall. At the end of the meal I had a few minutes talk with Mathangi.
In terms of handling pressure due to high expectations of diners she wore a BIG SMILE that pulls off most of the things. I felt most of her diners are loyalists coming over just for a dessert etc.
The beverage bottles have been sourced from US.
She was very receptive.
My sincere suggestion to her would be the following,
1. Improve on the AIRCON. Calling it MADRAS PLACE and not giving more importance to the heat is a misnomer.
2. Get one more helping hand in customer area to go to the next level. Staff are lacking in smartness.
3. Appoint a person to supervise the kitchen. To reduce food turn around time, maintain food quality standards constantly.
4. Make the seating more cozy and comfy.
5. Lastly if possible PLEASE PUT SIGNS OF "NOT SO LOUD" or something because it gets too noisy when its full.
Will go again to try other signature dishes.